Happy Eyes

“Happy the eyes that can close.” --from Cry the Beloved Country

Wednesday, April 4, 2007

What's Goin' On...

Hmmm, haven't had much of interest to write lately. I'm soooooooo tired and just a little bit sick (stomach bug? or just really tired?).

We've had two baby girls born in the past couple weeks. Doug's brother Clif and his wife Jaime had Emberlyn on March 23rd. This is their second child and everything went really smoothly. She was born with a very small head (microcephaly) and they are now trying to figure out if there's a reason why/if they'll be neurological problems or if Clif and Jaime just make small babies (their son was/is small and he's perfectly fine). So we're worried a bit about them but are hopeful.

Our friends Chris and Sterling (i threw her baby shower) welcomed their baby girl on April Fool's Day--10 days after her due date. I thought of Corinne A LOT as people were constently asking Chris the obvious, "You still haven't had that baby yet?!" Dur. Wise not to tell your due date...She always had such a good attitude about it but I'd have been throwing punches! Anyway, she had, from her reports, a fantastic delivery and their daughter is beautiful (all 9 lbs of her!). I'm so happy and relieved!

What have I been up to? This was Conference Weekend (seems appropriate to capitalize). This was the first year we were able to watch from home. We finally broke down and got cable. There was a deal with the local broadband company who we have our internet with and if we bundled our phone, cable and internet it was going to cost about $3 more than what we were paying for just our phone and internet. So we did it. After 10 years of marriage, we have cable. Not sure if that's an accomplishment or what but it seems noteworthy. It was really nice to have Conference on at home, that's for sure. We invited our new-member neighbors over for lunch between sessions and ended up chatting through the second Sunday session and didn't hear much of the speakers. Probably NOT a good example to them, but we enjoyed getting to know them better. And now that we have cable and "KBYU" I've been able to catch a little more of Conference during the rebroadcasts. And Doug and I have been able to enjoy a few men's volleyball games (Memories!! When we were dating/engaged, we often went to the matches at the Smith Fieldhouse). Already worth the price of admission!

Another "noteworthy" thing, after 10 years of marriage, Doug and I are finally getting real bedroom furniture. Our mattress will finally come off of the metal frame it's been sitting on as we'll have an actual real BED with a matching dresser. We've had the matching nightstands for about 4 years. I'm really excited and expect that this new furniture will lead me to be more organized and that i will suddenly always make the bed...

4 comments:

Jenni said...

Glad you got to watch conference and have a fun lunch w/ friends - sounds like a lovely day! And congrats on the new furniture - that is totally noteworthy!! I haven't gotten a bedroom set yet, but when I do I'll be so happy about it!! :)

Cami said...

Nice job with the furniture. Jake and I are always so proud of ourselves for getting "real" furniture, and it's still always just from IKEA.

Also, once, about 1.5 weeks after Jeffy's due date, someone at work asked me if I still hadn't had that baby yet, and I said, "No, and if you ask me that again, I just might bite your head off." That was the end of that.

ashlee said...

Cami--I've decided that it's the socially-challenged (inept?) that "ask" such questions! You took care of that issue! Love it.

Corinne said...

OHHH I hope that when Clint and I have our ten year anniversary next year, maybe WE'LL be able to have some real furniture too! Wow, what would I do with matching bedroom furniture?

My sister in-law had her baby on April fool's day too! Only, her baby was two weeks EARLY. I don't like to talk with her about that. It makes me sorta crabby. Not telling anyone my due date was one of my best decisions :)