Happy Eyes

“Happy the eyes that can close.” --from Cry the Beloved Country

Monday, April 30, 2007

Infectious Disease Update

Oy vay.

What a long day. I decided this morning that i would not go to work since my foot looked worse and now, not only my foot, but my left knee really hurt. Hmmm?? Infection spreading? I went into see my family doctor who was really perplexed that i would get an infection while on antibiotics. He referred me to an infectious disease doc. Quite the specialty. Hadn't thought of that one before.

This guy was great. Very nice, very thorough and very smart. He gave me his theory as to what was going on (an antibiotic resistant bacteria) thus explaining why the abx I am on might not be getting to the root of the problem. He wasn't overly alarmed, which was nice (I'm sure he's seen MUCH worse). He suggested I do a course of IV antibiotics with a specific drug known to get those resistant bugs. So, i agreed.

After four sticks, they finally got my IV in (helloooooo! i have beautiful, plump veins!). They told me my veins "roll" and "blow." Hrmph. I'm not a big fan of blaming the patient for a failed IV. I apologize and tell them it was operator error. But I digress. Anyway, i got my first dose of abx in the office and was sent home with the IV in and instructions to give myself 3 more doses. I ran into a few neighbors when i got home and watched as they literally recoiled from me when i answered their question about the big bandage on my arm...Lovely.

I am so grateful that this is not that big a deal. Hopefully these super-antibiotics will kick in and kick butt soon so i can start feeling better. I am so grateful for my usual state of good health and hope to keep it that way. As i was getting my abx infusion i thought about all the people in the world who have stuff like this done all the time for more serious conditions (i.e. cancer and dialysis patients) and how hopefully this is just a small blip on my radar screen.

4 comments:

Jenni said...

Wow Ashlee you have the best attitude about this!! I am glad you went to a good dr who knew what to do. I hope those super antibiotics knock it out quickly for you!

Cami said...

Sheesh! How annoying. I hope it works for you. Good luck

Corinne said...

No one has ever sent me home with an iv before :) I really hope this makes a difference for you!!

Kellie said...

Is "Infectious Disease Update" an oldie??? Maybe if you hum a few bars...

Sorry couldn't resist. I love your song-title post headlines.

I hope you are not in too much pain and I am praying for your very quick recovery. Thank goodness you are a nurse who thinks in terms of problem-solving and making connections between observations and relevant past experience. If not, you might have just settled for a little calamine lotion.