Happy Eyes

“Happy the eyes that can close.” --from Cry the Beloved Country

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Reasons I (Still) Love My Husband

He:

  • puts up with my crap--meaning my attitude, crabbiness, rude comments; etc.

  • is an incredible dad. Truly.

self-portrait from many moons ago
  • does the dishes almost every night


  • is such a hard worker. At work, at home, wherever. Very strong work ethic. I hope that rubs off on our children


  • has a positive attitude (thus offsetting my negativity)


  • tries really hard to get something else done while taking care of the boys--meaning, he tries to clean a bathroom or make a bed, too


  • tells me he "doesn't know how I do it" when he takes care of the kids all day


  • truly appreciates me, warts and all (I guess that means he loves me unconditionally)


  • doesn't mind (or let on if he does) that i rarely make dinner


  • says, "I can make that!" in response to many of my "wants." And he can. He designed and built the window seat in our old house, in addition to the multitude of other fixes that house needed. So far in this house, he designed and built our built-in entertainment center. He has, no doubt, many other designs and plans swirling around in that noggin of his... who can find the baby keegen in this pic?


  • is super-smart and always thinking about better ways to do things


  • is the kind of dad who gets down on the floor and plays with the boys--trucks, trains, makes forts and tunnels, wrestles; etc.


  • is a bit of a kid, himself


  • is a problem-solver


  • still thinks to bring me flowers on occasion


  • encourages me to take time for myself (i.e. girls' nights, a pedicure, a spin class; etc.). I think I need to take him up on that more often...


  • makes a big deal out of birthdays, Christmas and Mother's Day


  • is easy on the eyes


  • only has eyes for me

  • I guess I could keep this in my "drafts" and work on it for awhile. I could certainly think of many more reasons. But I think this is a good snapshot of Doug. You get the gist. I often wonder how I got so lucky?!

    6 comments:

    erin said...

    you ARE lucky! he is great in all ways... i was thinking that i love that you have the angel from my wedding in your built-ins-- yet, i NEVER would have spotted keegen if you hadn't mentioned it-- hilarious! :)

    Jenni said...

    I spied Keegan!! Too funny!! What a great hubby! I am impressed by that built in and honestly that he sees the need to make beds!! (No one in my house, but me, sees the importance of bed making. :))

    Jeri said...

    Hi Ashlee!

    I loved this post! What a lucky woman you are.

    I loved Keegan in the cubby! What fun picture!

    Cami said...

    I was just going to do one of these posts and I wondered if it would annoy people, but I really enjoyed reading this! Great post. Also, I did see Keegan before I even read to look for him! I guess I just think kids belong in small enclosed spaces.

    Corinne said...

    That part about him making everything you dream of is amazing. Great post!

    Kellie said...

    The world needs more of this. Counting blessings and loving each other will save the world.