Happy Eyes

“Happy the eyes that can close.” --from Cry the Beloved Country

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Losing Myself

I said my sister's trip didn't work out. And yes, i was disappointed. And i read my comment about hating where i live. And while that's true, how lame am i? So i don't like where i live. i'm letting it affect me this much? Puh-lease.

I'm letting myself get so wrapped up in stuff i can't change right now. Stuff that isn't entirely important. Instead of focusing on two healthy children, a great husband, a home, a steady income and so much more that more and more people around us don't have or are quickly losing? Sometimes i don't know about myself.

The words "lose yourself" have been running through my mind today. “For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel’s, the same shall save it.” (Mark 8:35.) I am a firm believer that when i "lose myself" in the service of others, i am the one who benefits. Selfish? But true.

Yes, i stay home with my children and "serve" them (sometimes i feel much like a servant, but that's an entirely different post). I could certainly improve in my acts of service to my children (another entirely different post). But if i can sit around and mope over small and stupid things, then i think it's time to lose myself in service outside of my usual routine.

And an opportunity has presented itself and i am going with it. I have a sister-in-law whom i love dearly. Doug's brother's wife. She's pregnant with their third and having a lot of physical problems. The baby appears to be fine, but she is struggling. I've offered to come and stay with them but they hadn't taken me up on it.

They spent this past weekend in the hospital with their 2-year old daughter. She has a lot of medical problems that haven't been specifically diagnosed. The biggest problem right now is that they can't get her seizures under control. She's spending the vast majority of her days practically sedated in order to not be in a constant seizure state. She's being admitted to hospice. They feel like her body is wearing out. That her time is short.

I talked to Jaime tonight and again said "Please let me know if i can come out and help you." And she let out this sigh of relief and said, "Would you really do that?" HELLO!?! So we're on. They live in Missouri. A 640 mile drive. 12 hours? Heaven help me with the boys. But it's just the drive that gives me the slightest bit of pause. Otherwise it will be great. I can be there to keep her company (unlike me, she likes company!). Make meals. Do housework. Take care of kids. And my boys can run wild with her 4-year old son. Cousins. That's a good thing.

By and large, I have come to see that if we complain about life, it is because we are thinking only of ourselves.

For many years there was a sign on the wall of a shoe repair shop I patronized. It read “I complained because I had no shoes until I saw a man who had no feet.” The most effective medicine for the sickness of self-pity is to lose ourselves in the service of others.

**Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley**

7 comments:

Stampin' Up Demonstrator said...

BELIEVE ME, I know how you feel about not loving the place you live. I have to constantly remind myself of all the things I am blessed with.

erin said...

really superly wonderful post. i'm excited for your trip. i, too, will be helping a sister-in-law in need this weekend! ;)

Jenni said...

I am so sorry your sister in law is not doing well, just hearing about her struggle made me teary... I will pray for her and think it is a wonderful thing that you are going to help her.

Tami said...

As I read your post, all I could think of was "AMEN to that sista! and then more AMENS." Your words could've come out of my mouth. I am not liking where we live. It just isn't "clicking." I needed to hear the reminder of "losing oneself in the service of others." I've been trying to stay on top of D&C/Gospel Doctrine class by reading/praying about the lessons, etc. As I read about these awful things that happened to JS and others, I can't help but feel crappy, selfish and ungrateful. I hole myself up with my kids in my house--content to just "be" and only go to the Y when I make my escape--then, I feel sorry for myself that I have no friends here. Um...HELLO! I make no effort. I've found myself in a rut and don't quite no where to begin. But at least I don't feel so alone (thanks for sharing)!

Tami said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cami said...

Wow. Good luck! You'll be a great help.

Doug said...

I can't tell you how much I appreciate Ashlee's sacrifice to go do this this week. 12 hours there and 12 back with the boys is enough to recommend you for sainthood.

I have recevied calls from my mom, brothers and sisters expressing how much they appreciate Ash making this trip.

I did build a travel caddie to sit in between the boys seats so they could get themselves books, drinks and snacks (my grand contribution).

I also have a list of chores I need to get done this week and need to get started.