Happy Eyes

“Happy the eyes that can close.” --from Cry the Beloved Country

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Crummies in Tummies


My kids don't sleep in. In hindsight, they used to, before the time change. Bode would get up at 7 and Keegen around 7:20. And occasionally he'd sleep till 8. Since the time change? Bode's up promptly at 6 and Keegen follows shortly thereafter.

I knew we had a problem this morning when it was 6:30 and no peeps from Keegen. Then 7. Then i started getting nervous at 7:15 but thought, "Maybe he's just catching up from his missed nap the other day. Give the kid a break. Don't go in and wake him up." Well, 7:26 rolled in and i went upstairs and oh-so-carefully turned the knob on his door. Pushed it open as quietly as i could. I could see his little eyes flutter open through the rails (still in a crib as long as we can get away with it).

And then i saw it. The crusty nasty tinge of vomit EVERYWHERE inside his bed. Oh my poor baby. He had a barf-covered binkie in his mouth and was oh-so-sad when i picked him up. He was covered from head to footie-jammies in it. Dry, nasty barf. He'd obviously puked sometime in the wee hours of the morning and must not have been awake enough to cry out? Poor guy.

So he got stripped. And rocked. And had some water and applesauce with probiotic. Watched Sid the Science Kid whilst i peeled off puke-pancakes from his PJs, pillowcase, sheet, blankies and stuffed animals (thank goodness for the vinyl gloves i have stockpiled from my L&D days!). Binkies were boiled. Playdates canceled (Bode took the news incredibly well). Got a dunk in the tub to get washed up. Slathered in sesame oil and thieves oil (my weapon against illness this winter. It's served us well so far. And the sesame oil is supposed to "enhance immunity." So we'll take a bottle of that thank you!).

He's now wrapped in a fleece laying pathetically on the couch watching Backyardigans. Sick days=TV days. On these days i'm grateful for PBS, Nickelodeon and Disney. Lends a nice variety.

And i have to say. I don't mind the sickies so much when it means my little lover of a 2 year-old who freely gives hugs and smooches--but who usually only stops long enough to snuggle for 3.2 seconds--will allow me to rock him as long as i please.

9 comments:

erin said...

egad. i just can't take another sick day... glad we're not swapping spit this time of year (as we are STILL, a month later, dealing with pinkeye). ugh. poor keegs. love him. and i hear you on the rocking bit- love a little snuggle from the non-snugglers!
hope he feels better soon (and you reminded me that i forgot to slather the thieves this morning-augh! and now i wish i'd mixed it with sesame. oh well... next batch)

Joni said...

Oh, that is my worst nightmare. We keep flirting with stomach flu around here and I keep waiting for the morning when someone has puked in the night. Sounds like you had a ton to clean up. Here's hoping that Keegan got it all out and he's now in recovery!

Jenni said...

What a horrible thing to wake up to!! I am so not good at dealing with stomach flus (I have such a weak stomach myself). I hope Keegen gets feeling better soon and that it doesn't hit the rest of the fam!

Joni said...

Thank you for your comment on the Honda! Personally that's the one I'm leaning to, though I don't know why. All I know so far is that two sliding doors is a must! You've given me a ton of good information, so muchas gracias:)

Chris said...

Poor guy. I always worry when Brooklyn sleeps in. Luckily Brooklyn has never woke up in that sort of frenzy. Although I often go into her room after a nap or even in the morning to find her nude. She just strips down diaper and all (sometimes before the nap and sometimes after-- as detected by whether or not her diaper is full or empty and the bed is wet or dry...once poopy--yuck). Anyway, that's know fun but he sure makes being sick look so cute, all curled up in a fleece on the couch. I wish my sick days could be like that. He's so lucky to have a good mom to take care of him.

Cami said...

How sad. But true about the snuggles. I've been holding a sick baby for 2 days though, and my back hurts a lot now. Hope he gets better soon.

Jared - Christina said...

Puke pancakes?!? Sorry, but I had to laugh at your description! :)
Hope your little guy feels better soon. I do love how snuggle they are when they are sick. I also love the idea that I'm the one they want comfort from.

Tami said...

we've had sick babies too. hope we didn't give it to you! :) I heard one of them crying the other night and ran to their room only to smell barf. i grabbed the baby i thought did it (so i could change, wipe down, etc.), but to my happy surprise, she missed her pjs and must've hit the bedding. long story short, i left fin in the room to finish out the night. when i went to get him the next morning, HE had puke all over him. glad i withdrew my name from mom of the year!

Joni said...

I see that you got it from your Facebook status. Cleaning it up, and then getting it, really stinks. I'm thinking of you!