Happy Eyes

“Happy the eyes that can close.” --from Cry the Beloved Country

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Drat


For a brief 12 hours, my sister and her girls were coming into town this Friday. She realized she had a 4-day weekend due to the inauguration (they live in the DC area) and she took pity on my pitiful "i hate Falcon, Colorado weather and Falcon Colorado in general" depression (it is supposed to be beautiful the rest of the week tho) that has commenced and will continue until mid-May. I think my aforementioned depression is actually worse because of this stomach bug that has put us under house arrest for the past 9 days (thank goodness we were able to sneak off to Breckenridge for a day!).

Anywho. I was excited. And applauded her spontaneity.

Unfortunately, American Airlines didn't think too highly of her spur-of-the-momentness as they had no flights going in or out that she could use her husband's "award miles." Stinkin' award. I have to assume they are black-out days due, in fact, to the inauguration. Would they have blacked out days in previous inaugurations? I kind of don't think so. But this one is a big deal. So they want to make more money. Jerks.

So we looked at future dates and our school schedules totally don't sinc up at all. We have a two week break late March to early April. And the following week is their spring break. Alas! Woe is me!

I'm seriously considering moving back to my parents house in Northern Virginia and living in their unfinished basement. I was banished there once when i was 16 (my mom's way of telling me i was a slob and needed to clean up my act). It wasn't so bad. I made it my own. I could do it again.

4 comments:

Jenni said...

I am so sorry it didn't work out - how disappointing! I know how hard it is to be so far away from family...Big bummer.

erin said...

ugh. no comment.

Cami said...

Bummer! I hate when things ALMOST happen . . .

Doug said...

Woah, Woah, Woah. I haven't been dilligent enough about reading the blog (althought I seriously think Ash is the best blogger I have ever seen, bar none).

I support the idea of moving back East, but we never discussed your parent's basement. Or, was that you and the kids leaving me here?