Happy Eyes

“Happy the eyes that can close.” --from Cry the Beloved Country

Sunday, January 4, 2009

The New Year


The first Sunday of each new year at our church is always a bit chaotic. This is when, as a child or youth, you're considered a year older and go to a new class. The Primary room (children's Sunday School) is always the loudest place in the house on this day, as the now three-year olds leave the comfort of nursery and join in the fun. There was no exception today. Lots of crying and howling and general feeling of anxiety, no matter how well prepared the teachers and leaders and parents were.

I'd mentioned to Bode at least a week or more ago about this change. That he'd have a new teacher and some of the same classmates (his age group is so big, there are two classes so i had no idea if his main friends would be in his class). He was cool with it. Didn't seem bothered. And then today came and he decided to be a "little bit scared." Which i told him was fine but that he still had to deal and go.

Doug took him into the madhouse of a Primary room and found his class. Very happily, his two best-buds-of-late are both in his class (yahoo!). He was still dragging his feet and anxious but managed to sit between them (after one of them moved over since Bode told him he had issues sitting next to a girl on the other side. What the?). I peeked in on him during sharing time and he was great.

I had to teach the Young Women today so Doug picked him up from his class. And he was all smiles, both hands full of drawings, wearing a little "Bode" nametag and having positive things to say about his class and his teachers (they have two since the class is still well over 10 kids).

Keegen has one more year in the nursery before he moves on to Primary. Nursery was loud and chaotic at drop-off as well. Keegen briefly covered both ears with his hands before i handed him over the gate to the nursery leader, who seemed relieved to have at least one child who was happy to be there! It's been really fun to watch him in there. He seems to love it. He drew some lovely pictures of his family today and was very proud of that fact.

As for me in the new year. Resolutions are floating around in my head. I haven't written any down. I do like the thought of a new year, new goals. But my goals always seem to be the same. I never really tackle my resolutions. I seem to forget them after a few months. But. Here i go again.
  • Focus on my physical health (which, happily, helps my mental and emotional health! Imagine that). I've been pretty good about getting up and getting to the gym in the mornings before Doug has to leave for work. I want to continue this and get back to my pilates DVD a couple days a week, too. My back needs the pilates!
  • Focus on my children in a more positive way. Count to five before yelling (and thereby hopefully find a better way to communicate in those few seconds!). Although i was on the phone on New Year's Day with a friend and screamed at them (and into her ear--sorry!) without the slightest hesitation. In my defense, i yelled when i saw Bode using Keegen's abdomen as a launching pad, so it was really a safety issue, which may be exempt from the whole stepping back and catching my breath idea...Be better about getting down and playing with them. After five years of this, i'm honestly kind of tired. But it's the good stuff and they love it. I need to be better about playing with Keegen especially. I expect him and Bode to entertain themselves on their own a bit too much.
  • Focus on my spirituality. Oh how i slack in this area. It's really good when i have to prepare a lesson because then i really immerse myself in scripture and prayer and all that good stuff. But this is too sporadic. I need to get back to daily scripture reading and prayer. We're good about family prayer, but my personal prayer is lacking.
  • Focus on my home. My home is terribly cluttered and disorganized. I need to weed through the basement and ditch so.much.stuff. Baby clothes, craft stuff that i haven't looked at in years and other miscellaneous items. I also need to figure out more of a routine to keeping my house in shape--laundry on certain days, bathrooms another; etc. I've been trying to be better about simply making my bed in the mornings and i like the way it feels in my room when it's made and somewhat tidy.
OK. That's enough. Happy New Year to you!

4 comments:

erin said...

i LOVE that picture of the boys. bode totally reminds me of a certain uncle of his... hmmm...

ashlee said...

erin--i've always thought drew and B look a lot alike. i have pictures of drew when he was a wee one and find myself having to momentarily take a second (is that redundant?) to get the name right of who it is. kind of like how drew used to think all of the pictures of me from kindergarten were of HIM. which really just says mom and dad didn't love me since i looked like a BOY.

how's that paragraph for a grammatical nightmare?

Jenni said...

Very admirable goals! I am a sunbeam teacher now and can honestly say I so hope the rest of the year is better than Sunday was!! Being 3 is hard though, especially when you are suddenly expected to make it through 2 hours without playtime... Glad Bode and Keegen did well in primary!

Kellie said...

I love your goals, Ashlee. I'll be rooting for you as I work in several overlapping areas!