Happy Eyes

“Happy the eyes that can close.” --from Cry the Beloved Country

Friday, June 8, 2007

"CrAsh"--A Flashback Friday


In my post, "100 Things," I mentioned the fact that I once broke my wrist while running. I'm not sure why that's crossed my mind, but figured I'd try to get out of my blogging rut by telling that story.

It was late May 1996 and I was running on the path that goes along the Provo River. I was running with ROTC in mind, as I would be off in mid-June to Fort Lewis in Washington for 3 weeks of what you would think of as boot camp and then off to Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio for a month of training specifically for future Army nurses. I was really excited about the nurses' training, but completely dreading the field training. I had gone back and forth in my mind about my commitment to ROTC. I wasn't sure it was a good fit for me, but decided that my indecision wasn't enough to get out. I decided that if I went through with the dreaded field training, I wouldn't back out of my contract and I was doing the best I could to prepare.

I had my Walkman blaring (was it a Discman by then??) as I ran along. I hadn't run on this portion of the path before and came to a chain hanging in the middle of the path. In hindsight, I later realized that the chain was just a way of warning that if I continued straight I would be off the path. Had I gone down to the right, I would have stayed on along the river. I should have chosen the right...

I remember having this instant of indecision. Not about going right or staying straight, as I didn't even notice the option of staying on the path. My indecision was about whether to go around the chain or, since it was only a few inches off the ground in the middle, if I should jump over it. At the very last second, I decided to jump over it. And I totally bit it. The dirt, I mean. I tripped and fell HARD. My Walkman flew and smashed on the ground and so did I. A guy in a pickup truck stopped long enough to ask if I was OK. Yes, I'm OK, just totally humiliated! Please, drive on! I scraped up my hands, knees and elbows. And MAN, did my wrist hurt...

I hobbled back home and cleaned myself up. The next morning my wrist still hurt, so I went in for an x-ray. Sure enough, I'd broken it, right at the "anatomical snuffbox." I'm such an anatomy geek. I remember that one well from my sports medicine classes. I was put in a cast for what would be 6 weeks. I remember asking the doctor about going to my boot camp and his response was, "If they'll let you with a cast on your arm." Dur, probably not.

Because of my broken wrist, my camp was deferred to the following summer. (Instead of spending the rest of my summer as planned, I went on a trip to Boulder and did lots of camping in Utah with friends, one--Sarah-- who dubbed me "CrAsh." Some of the best times I'd had at BYU to that point). To make a long story short, I took this experience as a sign to get out of my ROTC contract. It was an incredibly difficult decision. I'd promised to serve my country. I'd taken their money to pay for school. Part of me felt like if I were an Army nurse, it would partially make up for my dad getting out of the Army prematurely because of my mom's health problems. I thought maybe it would be my way to "serve a mission" since I knew an actual church mission was not for me. I met some of my closest friends in ROTC. I felt awful backing out, but ROTC had never felt right to me. The idea of Army nursing did, but the path I'd chosen to get me there didn't. Maybe that doesn't make sense, but there you have it.

I sometimes think of how different my life would be if I'd stayed in. I know I would have had some very interesting experiences as an Army nurse and I'd have learned a lot. I also know that the 4-year active duty commitment I would have had would have finished up December of 2001, just 3 months after 9/11. And then I would have had another 4 years in the reserves. Knowing the crunch the military has had I think I would have served a lot longer active duty. I can only assume I would have spent a lot of time deployed and I seriously doubt I'd have the family I do now. It was the right decision for me and I'm happy to say that I don't regret any of it--being in ROTC and the decision to get out.

All because I tripped and broke my wrist.

5 comments:

erin said...

i remember that chain (in a story, anyway)... didn't you learn to always CHOOSE THE RIGHT? (maybe you weren't wearing your reminder ring that day...)
I LOVE THOSE PHOTOS OF YOU!!!! a rare glimpse. very cool.
definitely the right decision for you. you made the right choice (to veer off the path), because i think you're right-- you wouldn't have the great family you have right now (maybe you'd just have a different great family!).

Jared - Christina said...

What a cool story, Ashlee! Thanks for sharing! Love the pictures too!

Jenni said...

That is a cool story! Isn't it amazing how our lives makes twists and turns we never envisioned, but they always seem to put us on our "right" (hee hee:)) path. Love the pics!!

Kellie said...

I love being able to look back and see how life just works. God is indeed in the details, and he knows your needs. Thanks for sharing this, Ashlee.

Corinne said...

Fun to see those pics of you - and so interesting to see how one instant can make SUCH a difference.