Happy Eyes

“Happy the eyes that can close.” --from Cry the Beloved Country

Saturday, March 10, 2007

Happy news

Our neighbors across the street were baptized today! I mentioned them once before, that they started going to church while I was visiting family in Virginia. Really amazing to me that it was just a month from first discussion with the missionaries to baptism. I am so happy for them. It was such a nice place to be this evening, sharing this experience with them. Doug gave the talk on baptism and it was fairly well-attended by ward members. Both M. and B. were baptized. I'd wondered if B. would be ready, but he was. It was wonderful to see a family start new like this!

I went to our local church bookstore to find a gift for them and was surprised at a moment I had where i felt totally emotional thinking about their baptism. It surprised me, really, because I'm not one to be super-emotional or cry easily. Just the blessings that will be available to them and the positive step this is makes me so happy for them. I ended up getting them the church's FHE handbook, Children's Hymnbook and a blue spiral bound hymnbook. I think it's nice to have those in your home.

It was Bode's first baptism and I wondered what he'd think about it. So when I asked him, "What did you think of the baptism?" on our way home, he responded with a very strong, "Good!" Appropriate. He said something about how they went in the tub and took a bath. He seemed pretty fascinated by the whole thing. It was probably such a "good" thing, too, because we let him not only eat a cookie at the reception following but a piece of cake too. That's a big deal for him...

So, yea for them!

3 comments:

Jenni said...

Ashlee, that is such great news!! How wonderful for your neighbors and also for your family to have been part of their conversion and baptism. So neat...

Corinne said...

WOW. That's incredible. I hope you all create a great friendship and that they have a neat experience in the ward.

Cami said...

Yay! It's great not only that they are getting baptized, but that you'll now have more member neighbors! That's always nice.