Happy Eyes

“Happy the eyes that can close.” --from Cry the Beloved Country

Saturday, October 3, 2009

Soren's Playlist

In addition to all of the prepping and planning and just plain getting ready for Soren (i.e. typing a list of information about the boys and their routines and important phone numbers, continually cleaning because surely tonight's the night and heaven forbid people coming over to help see how we really live, fretting over who would be available to take the boys even though i had a fantastic list of friends willing and waiting, reading my favorite childbirth prep book "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth" even though my labor and delivery ended up being nothing like a midwifery delivery; etc., etc.), I made a lovely little playlist that i burned to a CD to listen to while laboring/delivering. Initially, I thought i'd fill it with a lot of my workout songs. You know, keep the energy going/pump you up songs. But i decided to make a broader mix of songs i just liked/haven't tired of yet, some that were high energy and some that were mellow and some that spoke to me as bringing-a-baby-into-the-world songs. I purposely tried not to listen to it much so it would be fresh when i went into labor. But i went a week or two longer in my pregnancy than i'd anticipated, so toward the end, i cheated a bit and listened to it.

My labor went from la-de-da to sha-bam in a very short time. So. We forgot about the music and just worked hard and fast at bringing Soren into the world. Now that we're home, i'm enjoying listening to it.

Here's the list:
  1. Chariot by Gavin DeGraw
  2. Apron Strings by Everything But the Girl. This is a favorite from my college days and was excited to finally find it on iTunes.
  3. I Gotta Feeling by Black Eyed Peas. I had a lot of days when i thought i was going into labor. When my typical six or so contractions an hour turned into every 5 minutes and then every 2-5 minutes. I would get excited, start cleaning (or obsessively making sure the diaper bag had a change of unders for Keegs or double-checked the gluten-free-to-go food bag for Bode...) and crank up this song because of the positive, fun energy it has ("I gotta feeling, that tonight's gonna be a good night, that tonight's gonna be a good good night...). And then the contractions, while frequent, wouldn't get much stronger than usual and would finally go back to the typical pattern.
  4. Somewhere Over the Rainbow by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole. Just like it. Soothing and mellow.
  5. This Woman's Work by Kate Bush. Seemed appropriate.
  6. Fallin' for You by Colbie Caillat.
  7. For Once in My Life by Stevie Wonder. Upbeat and positive.
  8. Move Along by The All-American Rejects. Keep the labor moving along, you know?
  9. Golden Slumbers by Jackson Browne
  10. If Today Was Your Last Day by Nickelback
  11. My Life Would Suck Without You by Kelly Clarkson. One of my favorite songs to workout to/blast really loud.
  12. I'd Rather Be With You by Joshua Radin
  13. Chasing Pavements by Adele
  14. Pump It by Black Eyed Peas
  15. Feather in the Wind by Mindy Gledhill
  16. Viva la Vida by Coldplay
  17. Higher Ground by Stevie Wonder
  18. Can't Keep It In by Cat Stevens. My idea of labor/pushing humor. "Oh, i can't keep it in. I can't keep it in i gotta let it out. I gotta show the world. World's gotta see. See all the love. Love that's in me."
  19. Gone Gone Gone by Robert Plant & Alison Krauss
  20. The Wood Song by Indigo Girls
  21. Isn't She Lovely by Stevie Wonder.
And she is so very lovely.

6 comments:

chihuahua5 said...

Congrats Ash! She is absolutely beautiful!!!!!

Sarah said...

It's fun to see what your listening to. I love that Apron strings. You put it on a tape for me once and I sing it to myself when I'm making dinner sometimes. I hope all went well with delivery. Can't wait to hear the story. I'm sorry to miss you in CO. Things just got too busy to fit it in. I hope little Soren is being good for you and you are getting to rest a little.

Mimi said...

Adorable picture! And I'll have to add some of those songs to my playlists. I have to admit - it will take me a little while to get used to Soren being a girl name. Mike agreed to use it as a middle name (almost first) because I told him it was totally boy. :) Eating my words...

erin said...

this is one of my favorite photos, so far!

Cami said...

I love the playlist, and the BABY! Oh, she is lovely indeed.

Corinne said...

I LOVE the playlist. Soon I am going to itunes to have some fun with that :)