Happy Eyes

“Happy the eyes that can close.” --from Cry the Beloved Country

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Twilight


So, the wickedly wild woman that i am....

Oh, sorry. Did you pee your pants a little bit reading that?

OK. Well. Living on the edge, i went to the midnight showing of the Twilight movie on Thursday night/Friday morning.

I really enjoyed the book. And was curious to see the movie. The trailers didn't have me feeling very confident in it. But i was excited to see it.

I was introduced to the books by my Maryland friends' blogs. I read many a post about these young adult vampire fiction books. And thought they were crazy. Until i decided, well, they have great taste. Many are practically non-stop readers. I picked up Twilight and loved it.

I thought it would be appropriate to go see Twilight with them. But. Oh. Ya. Well. I don't live in Maryland anymore. BUT. Jenni just moved near Denver and i thought it would be a lot of fun to see it with her.

We had a great dinner with another Jenny (also used to live in Maryland!)(and thanks for the pic). Fun conversations. A great time out. We headed to the theater once we heard that they were letting people in way early (around 10:30). I was so glad we could wait inside a warm theater instead of outside in the 28 degree weather that i was anticipating.

It was a fun atmosphere in the theater. Lots of picture taking and Team Edward t-shirts. Then the movie started and there were the occasional girly squeals that i found so amusing.

It was really fun to see the book acted out on-screen. I didn't love it. I thought it was a bit disjointed. I thought they casted the lesser characters really well, but notsomuch Edward and Bella. Edward was not smooth. Why did Jaspar look so constipated all the time? There were a number of scenes that felt more like part of the outtake reel than what should be in a finalized movie.

Despite all that? It was a great time. I loved hanging out with Jenni. The movie was a good escape. Jenni, or should i say her daughter Sophie, was gracious enough to let me spend the night in her room so i didn't have to drive home at 3AM!

And I think i'll have to see it again. Since i was nearly comatose before the movie even started, i may enjoy it more in a more alert state!

6 comments:

erin said...

oh my gosh. i wish i still had the stamina to stay up past 10pm. sounds like fun!

Jenni said...

It was so FUN and I'm so glad I got to laugh at Jasper with you Ashlee!!!:) For me it was totally better the 2nd time around so you should give it another shot! I tell you Cedric really grew on me!!:) And of course I am all up for multiple showings if you'd like to meet up again!!:)

Corinne said...

Sweet times! Wish we could've been ALL together :)

Brenda said...

That's so fun that you got to go together! I also did the 12:00 am showing and it was so fun! Too bad you weren't all here with us!

Chris said...

You are wild. I really am a little surprised. How fun. Every now and again mom's need to have fun too! I have not seen it yet. I read the book and liked it. When Sterling saw the preview he was surprised by how much "action" there was. He's actually pretty excited to see it. I may be the only LDS lady that's going to see this movie with my husband.

And about this 10 pound business. I don't believe you. you are a tiny-miny....so good for you.

Mimi said...

You are crazy - I had a few friends going to the midnight movie but thought with kid routine the next day and Mike teaching early morning seminary at my house the next day - no way can I be that crazy anymore! But I did see it the next night and thought it was entertaining - helps when you can fill in the gaps w/your knowledge from the books.