Happy Eyes

“Happy the eyes that can close.” --from Cry the Beloved Country

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Waving the White Flag

I have boys. I realize this is a known fact. But when i go into my bathrooms? It is most obvious that i have boys. Young boys. Boys who have potty trained in this house. Boys who are, evidently, a bit careless. And in a hurry. And maybe turning to continue a conversation whilst peeing causing them to spray the baseboards on the other side of the bathroom. That one's just a theory.

So i know that having boys who stand up to pee can lead to problems with bathroom cleanliness. Add to that a mother (c'est moi) who is less than stellar in the area of housekeeping/cleaning and the problem grows.

I've gotten to the point that my bathrooms depress me so much that i simply don't clean them anymore. Until we have guests coming over. So that equals about a once a month cleaning. Not enough when the pee is flying many times a day. A few months ago, i tried to really scrub them. I'd tried my natural remedies. I'd tried a pomus stone to get to the stains on the underside of the seat. So I went to the most toxic, bleach-containing, thick blue-gelled toilet cleaner i could find. And all i managed to do was take the finish off of two of my toilet seats. Not what i was going for.

I went to Costco on Thursday to upgrade my cellphone at the Verizon kiosk. As i meandered the store while my phone was being setup, i saw, on an end-cap, just what i needed. I didn't even think about it. I didn't calculate cost. I didn't call Doug for an opinion. I didn't care so much that the material wasn't porcelain like the existing seats (i've looked online and can't find them). What i saw said, "Easy to clean," "Easy to install." And they were white. Bright, glistening WHITE that called to me. I grabbed two and put them in my cart without another thought.

I have to say. That's the best $28 i've spent in a long time. Love them. The boys are sure to appreciate the "slow-closing lid" feature. I'll be back for two more on Monday. Problem solved.

1 comment:

erin said...

hilarious! told kim about this and she thought you were genius! since the seats are new, i guess that means you have LOTS of time before you have to clean again. (phew)